The name of a said, it would make a good song title. Yet it is the name of a little village in Eastern Colorado that is no more. Heartsong shows up on weather maps, so it had to of been a place at one time. Doing some map searching, it showed up on satellite view as a collection of buildings. Doing more searching an interesting story for the town came to light.
Heartsong had its beginning in 1909 as Happyville. 1908 a settler homesteaded in the area and decided there should be a Post Office for the surrounding settlers. Awarded the contract for mail service, Happyville was on its way to becoming a growing prairie town. Stores and shops were built and when the auto showed up a gas station was added to the town.
Conflict arose between the founder and other settlers over the stores and various other arguments. So the founding father got upset and threaded to move his stores to another location. Sure enough, later that year, the stores and his house were loaded up and teams of 8 horses hauled the building down the road a few miles.
Leaving Happyville to a new location, called for a new name and Heartsong was chosen. The new town thrived, business was good. Happyville became a ghost of itself and faded into not much. The “Dirty Thirties” arrived, farmers were blown out and lost their farms. With people moving out, Heartsong was in decline. Then in 1940, fire struck the little village, burning up most of the town. Heartsong disappeared into the ashes to be no more.
Today, there is a ranch where Heartsong once stood and at Happyville is an abandoned farm and nearby sits an empty church. The memories of the Prairie towns linger on with the people that survived the hardship of the land. Farms dot the land, fields wave in the breeze and cattle watch the passing truck.