Monday, March 4, 2013

Hedonistic

 

Commercials are a telling part of society.  They are directed a segments of people.  Oh, the purpose is to get people to buy things, support something or create an awareness, sometimes just support of a media.  The messages reflect a part of the group we live in.  So when I puzzled by advertising I have to ponder, what are they trying to say. 

Lately there have been a bunch of computer type commercials that just did not register with me.  First thing that came to mind was the generation gap.  Yup, I’m an old fuddy duddy….. hehe.  One of the common threads in them was the goal of deriving pleasure if one used their product.  Then I seen that in some other messages.  Indulgent pleasure was the message.  No work was implied, just use the stuff and be happy.  Self indulgent pleasure was such a common theme in so many other commercials.

It made me stop and wonder, what kind of new generation is issuing forth.  So many youngsters I interact with any more, ages mid 20’s to young teenagers.  Seem to be bent on pleasure only and the adults are there to provide this for them.  Its like the concept of putting something out to gain this is foreign to them.  I have seen some children treat their parents like servants.

DSCN3439 (800x600)

Then I see commercials pandering to the self indulgent.  Man is a pleasure seeking being but there has to be some work in there someplace to create these machines.  It sometimes comes across that people don’t grasp that somebody has to create these machines and it takes some kind of work to acquire the money to purchase them.

The entrepreneur that works and markets to these people will create a type of slavery.  These companies will have a great control over others.  They probably will become quite wealthy also.

Leisure time for some has become more important then work time but they expect to be compensated the same as those who work.  There have been leisure seeking people for eons, but most of them also were hard workers.

So I wonder where these people will find the money to sate their hedonism?

Ah, the pleasures of my life, sit and count snow flakes.

 

Your indulgence is…………. ?

2 comments:

Joe said...

John the signs of society's decline are hugely present in all walks of life but perhaps nowhere so much as with younger people. The reality of simple things such as cause and effect and the idea that anything could actually be finite escapes them. All in all I long for God's intervention in this mess.

pve design said...

I have always admired the "fuddy duddy" in another generation. My Grandmother had an apron that she wore to work which said, "I may be an oldie but I'm a goodie."
I had a wonderful time driving my son back to his college and we spoke about frugality, saving, work and the importance of finding pleasure in that. We shared a simple meal together and mine was a mere $2.75. I told him it is often the delight in finding pleasure in simple joys and as a family working together.
We as humans are here to love and to serve the Lord and many do in fact think it is their God given right to be served and waited on.
pve