Abbott, CO, is a small ranching and farming community is southern Washington County. The history map shows the first Post Office being established 1887 near where the church is located. There is also a ranch house nearby, where the PO was located. It is along the Deertrail wagon road and there are 3 other locations show for Abbott. Another location for Abbott is a few miles north and showing the mail contract in 1924,
Today the land is pretty empty, a few homes dot the area but there are more abandoned homes lying in ruin. Sometimes it is but a few trees marking where the homestead had been. Small creeks run across the land and the occasional spring forms small ponds for wildlife and being attractive to the settler of the 1800’s.
Homesteading on the Colorado prairie during the late 1800’s was not very successful. A quarter section of land would not provide much of a living for the farmer back then and most homesteaders failed. The few that made it were cattlemen and the area around Abbott is mostly ranch land. It is rolling hills of pasture and some hay fields. So it is understandable why the 1887 post office would have survived.
Being along a wagon road helped the community also. Supplies would of moved along this route, for the stores that served the community. The land has not changed much in the past 100 plus years. One can sit on a ridge overlooking the small valley and hear the creak of wagon wheels as they made their way along the route. Cattle would have dotted the land, very few fences back then, the antelope would have stood on the horizon watching the traveler make its way over the short grass prairie.
The Abbott Church sits on a knoll overlooking a small creek. A few trees have survived along the banks and the greener grass shows where the water runs along. The view the other way is to rolling land falling away to the horizon. The church is on one of those half section roads and one has to zig then zag a bit to get down the country road to get to it.
Riding along the dusty road, one climbs up a small hill and in the distance can be seen the church. Very diminutive building that dominates the land with its distinctive steeple. Here the local people gathered for celebrations, Weddings, funerals, baptisms, Sunday church and the potluck.
Today the little country church sits silent, a reminder of other days. The pews are dusty, the pulpit awaits the preacher, the bell in the steeple sits at the ready.
Nearby is the cemetery and it is still used by a few. It is unusual in that it is on a sloping hill going away from the church. Down among the grasses are a variety of markers, some unmarked, with wild flowers and overgrown grasses.
The occasional breezes caress the land, ruffling the grasses, rearranging the dust, it is a land that has not changed much. Yet it has, no longer are there the shuffling of feet in to the church, the laughter rolling out across the land, nor the conversations the day’s news.