Resolis was a small town in Eastern Colorado, located on the banks of the Big Sandy Creek. Today there is a road that winds through the area where the village once stood. Its exact location is under debate and where the people say it was located is not a sure thing. So Resolis may have been located there or maybe over there, one sure thing though, is, it did exist.
Resolis had its beginnings during the Colorado gold rush of the 1850’s. A freight company in Leavenworth, Kansas was sending wagon trains of freight across the prairie to the gold fields. In 1859 they formed the Leavenworth & Pike Peak Stage Line. The stages used the route the freighters had been using to go to Denver. In 1859 the LLP Stage line established a relay station at the crossing the Big Sandy.
Out in this pasture is where one of the locations for the town may of been.
The stage line did not last long, in 1860 they were awarded the mail contract on the Overland route. The route to Denver was abandoned but Resolis did not wither away. The freight wagons were still rolling west and The Smoky Hill Trail passed through, keeping the trading post open. During this time the population of Resolis had boomed to maybe 30 hardy souls.
In 1870 there was another change to the area, the Kansas Pacific RR was pushing across Eastern Colorado. The RR established a small RR town to the north of River Bend. Many of the people of Resolis packed up and moved to the new railroad town.
Here the road cross the former right of way, and is one of the places where the town was supposedly located.
Resolis did not stay vacant for long because another railroad showed up in the area. The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific was pushing westward to Colorado Springs and at the site of Resolis a small depot was established for the new railroad. People returned to the little village along the river banks. There were jobs working on the railroad and it was good ranch land. The population boomed again to over 60 souls.
Resolis now rivaled River Bend, its neighbor in size. There were saloons, stores, blacksmith and all the amenities of a country town. The land was not good for farming and when the Homestead Act changed very few people moved in to the area to settle it. The ranchers pretty much controlled the surrounding area.
With the changes in railroading, jobs in the little section towns began to disappear. The drought of the 30’s arrived and many people flew with the wind to other places and Resolis became a forgotten place full of vacancies.
Some of the trestles still stand, to mark where the tracks had been.
When the railroad ceased operations in the 1970’s, a local RR began operations of a diner train through the area. The big cottonwoods provided nice shade and cool breezes for the evening train to pass through. Resolis was no more but it was a mile marker and listed in the RR time tables. The diner train did not last long and when it ceased operations, the railroad also became a ghost.
The rails were removed and the ROW went to various land holders in the area. There are a few bridges still standing, the RR Grade can still be seen and a few ranch houses have some sizable fences of RR ties. Yet where the town had exactly existed is a question. One spot is out in a pasture, the other is where Resolis road cross the old ROW. Oh well, bouncing down the road looking at what may have been, for on far horizon is River Bend’s Boot Hill.