Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lizard Toads

 

There little lizards referred to as horny toads.  They are a few inches long and an inch or two wide.  They puff up to look bigger then they are and can be very intimidating to other small critters.  They have horns/spikes and give the appearance of a small tank scurrying over the ground.  Used to catch them when I was younger and keep them in a small box for a few days as a pet.  I would catch bugs and put in for it to eat and had a jar lid for water.

 

IMGP4192 (640x425)IMGP4195 (425x640)

It went running across in front of me.  I had almost stepped on it.  If it hadn’t been for that I would of not seen it.  Soon it will be to cold for it and into hibernation it will go.

Had a mixed mongrel that would walking with me.  She found one of these things and was just having a blast playing with it.  She would pick it up in her mouth and carry it.  The toad would wiggle and she would spit it out.  Go back and pick it up again, the toad would wiggle and out it would go.  I finally caught up with and got the toad and took over to a rocky ledge and let it go and scolded the dog to let it be.  It was a sad droopy eyed look I got from the dog.  Any way we went our way and the toad had a story for its grand children…. Hah

IMGP4198 (640x425)

A short distance on, I came across a smaller one.  It to went scurrying across my path.  They blend in real well with their surroundings.

They like to eat ants, next year I may try to capture one and turn it loose on the local ant hill.

2 comments:

Here I Am Carrie said...

Oh I haven't seen horny toads for so long. Well not since I lived in Texas over 45 years ago. I also remember catching them as a kid and keeping them for awhile. Oh about the ant hill. I saw somewhere they were saying you can also put rhubarb leaves on it and it is suppose to get rid of them. Didn't catch the end of the show to see if it worked though. Well hope you are enjoying the wonderful autumn air.

Joe said...

We have those in our area too John, is it true they can launch blood out of their eyes or is that another species? We recently captured a local tiger salamander and have been enjoying him quite a bit. He's been eating the grasshoppers we bring to him of which there has been plenty.