Sunday, April 6, 2014

Death of a Windmill

 

For many years the windmill has captured the breezes.  Throughout the years I have taken pictures of it.  It is an old wood frame wind tower, They are few and far between, so it became a windy model for me.  Went down the road other day and saw its propeller had fallen off.

DSCN5893 (600x800)

No longer was it spinning in the breezes.  The pasture and sheds appear to of been abandoned many years ago and it just sat there spinning freely.  The fierceness of the wind with lube finally took its toll.

DSCN5895 (600x800)

Down in the weeds n grasses is its final resting place.  The winds shall flow on by, ruffling the grasses, no longer spinning the propeller. 

Over the years I have taken videos of windmills and this one usually made the final cut.  Alas I could not remember where I spotted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8r-w8PY6Zc

When I first spotted it, it was a nice summer day and the blades were slowly turning.  There was water in the stock tank and a couple of horses were eyeing the stranger taking pictures.

No longer will the pastoral scene be there.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Days past and photos of things from another age always grab me, thanks for sharing John.

Here I Am Carrie said...

What a shame that anyone would allow the windmills to die. There are so many people I know who would love to have one on their property including me. Some people don't realize the treasure they still have.