Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bombs Bursting

Independence day has passed into history and we await the one for next year.  Headlines jump out proclaiming FREEDOM.  Have you ever wondered freedom from what and what really is freedom?

Took a few pictures of the local fireworks few of them came out nice.

IMGP3161 (425x640)IMGP3161

 

IMGP3160 (425x640)

IMGP3166 (425x640)

 

IMGP3169 (425x640)

IMGP3177 (425x640)

IMGP3186 (425x640)

It was a great show.

I was lucky enough years ago to get a tour of Chesapeake Bay.  One of the tour spots was Ft McHenry, where the national anthem was written.  There is a buoy in the bay, supposedly marking where Key sat in his little boat making notes for a song that would be forever etched in the fabric of the USA.

Fireworks displays of today symbolize that battle and others during the revolution.  It was a time when people wanted to throw off an oppressive government.  They wanted to rule themselves, a freedom from restrictive government rules, one of them being taxes.  The biggest was self governance.  Not an absent government that was way over there some where.

Self determination was one of the key factors of the founding fathers used when they trashed the articles of confederation and replaced them with the constitution.

So does the constitution give you freedom to express yourself, live the life you chose or walk a different path.  Within the fabric of the constitution is a very broad avenue for people of the US to travel.

Today can we travel with the freedoms that our founding fathers gave us in the late 1700’s?  Why have we been willing to give up so many freedoms?

When July 4th rolls around I visit the cemetery where many of our freedoms have been placed and wonder if we will get any back.  What changes do I need to make, what should I demand of the politicians?

Look at the real reasons for the Civil War…….. It had very little to do with slavery.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Enlightening post. You said it all.

Lisa said...

You said so very much here John. Thank you for this post. As always I really enjoyed. Your photos are beautiful

Thanks for your words. You put down in words just whats in my heart and so I thank you once again for sharing your words and wisdom.

Debra said...

Great post! I so wished I had paid more attention in my high school government class. Those are great shots of the fireworks!

chasity said...

what an interesting post...
the older i get~ the more interested i become in history. the civil war is a very intriguing and sad time for our country. so many lost.

~~

your photo at the top of your blog made me smile~
that old shed rather resembles my garage! no joke :)

Joe said...

Well done John, you easily put my attempts to photographic fireworks to shame. I have been thinking about freedom a lot these days and this really is excellent today, thank you!

Here I Am Carrie said...

I didn't get to see any fireworks so thank you for sharing what are the best I have seen. I also never really thought about what they symbolized. Makes perfect scense. Thank you for sharing. Hugs Carrie