Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flying South…. Nope Not Me

 

This time of year the V’s have been floating over head.  A lots of them have been landing here.  No longer do they go to the warmer climes of the south.  Today there are numerous man made lakes for the birds to splash in.  Nearby are fields loaded with seeds.  It is heaven for birds.  The climate is not that harsh here through the winter.  Daytimes highs occasionally reach into the 70’s during the winter mostly it is the 50’s n 60’s.

So the migrating birds have found it is a nice place to hang out for the winter.  The golf courses make nice places to hang out and the farmers leave behind seeds that were not there a 100 years ago and there are those who feed the birds. 

The journey south is much shorter now.

IMGP4506 (640x425)IMGP4511 (640x425)

Seldom do the ponds freeze solid so the birds have a refuge from the two legged critters.  There is plenty of down to insulate them.

In the morning feeding time thousands upon thousands can be seen flocking to the sun flower fields and nearby corn fields.  It is an amazing sight to see millions of birds in V’s up in the air circling fields.

Massive farming has changed the way lots of wildlife lives today.  There is probably more wildlife today then there was over 100 years ago.  There is an abundance of food and shelter that the farmer and rancher have provided.  Don’t tell the greenies that though.  They think the farmers and ranchers are pretty stupid and can’t take care of wildlife.

I put the little bird feeder out for the little birds but to see the millions of massed birds is incredible.  Man influences the environment but to what extent.  Do I really want to foul the land I live in.

Hope your week is going well and that may the bird of paradise be your companion.

6 comments:

Joe said...

I envy your winter temperatures my friend! I guess I won't lecture you about our temperatures here since it's your birthday and all...ahem, love the pictures and the flocking birds. It's been strange here speaking of change...I don't see near the usual number of birds...I have no idea why.

Here I Am Carrie said...

I too envy your winter temps till I go south like the geese. I had always thought it much colder there. Driving by some frozen ponds the other day I saw 2 coyotes digging up what looked like a 3 foot island where a nest may have been in the summer. Yep once it freezes they have access to all those little islands. May you have many wonderful bird companions this winter and a great weekend.

Ramblingon said...

Was it your birthday! Happy belated Birthday, John. You are a joy to visit. We think alike on many things.

Kathryn Magendie said...

hello, dear John... -- how often I looked on my FB page to post an update and saw the "poke" from you - and how it made me smile.

Your comments are always lovely and warm and welcoming, too ...

Kathryn Magendie said...

PS HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Lisa said...

Happy Belated Birthday John.
Its mine today.
Hope your well. Your photos are so Beautiful