Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dying

 

Went to a memorial service for a friend this week.  He was a Vietnam Veteran and was interred at the National Military cemetery.  I have a relative here plus some friends, so I went early to visit them for a moment for I knew afterwards would not be good.

As I walked among the grounds lots of things flooded the mind.  Here were people that served the country to be put in harms way.  Freedom is the creed that they fought for.  I ask myself, freedom from what, to do what, how to be or what is freedom.

DSCN1042 (800x600)

Freedom caries a multitude of meaning to people. 

What does it mean to you?

How do you relate to the revolution of 1776?

 

There were a jumble of thoughts for me that afternoon and after the first of the year I want to explore them and share some of my thoughts.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and have a great week leading to Christmas, the greatest gift of all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry John your friend passed. Seeing the many gravestones one has many thoughts of war, invasions or conflict.

Gerry Adams said...

Hi John, I'm also sorry for the loss of your friend. Last week I went up and put some flowers on my dad and mom's grave up at the national cemetery here. It is actually a beautiful park like place. They are buried there because my dad was in the navy during world war 2. My dad has now been gone for over 10 years, and my mom since last December. Still kind of hard to go through the holidays with them gone. I guess it will get better with time. I hope you have a nice week too!

Joe said...

Freedom is something precious and more deep or wide than I could ever express in words. Like you I've had this subject on my heart for a while. I heard someone recently relating the debacle in the middle east to our American Revolution and I found that stunning...the same? I don't think I could ever say that. My condolences on the loss of your friend. Grace and peace to you John.

Lisa said...

So very sorry for the loss of your friend John..So many are feeling a loss and pain this Christmas. Your words and questions stir the mind and heart for sure.
It has to be a humbling feeling walking among some of the worlds bravest, strongest and gave all and humbling as well. I love the photo.
Peace to you today John.
and PS
One more mad man is gone from this earth in North K.