Saturday, November 13, 2010

IS IT????

Social Security an Entitlement?

I have seen posted in more than one story referring to Social Security as being an entitlement program. Not sure how it got that label for Social Security is not a tax. It is a deduction from one’s pay, plus the employer has funds added to the deduction. These funds are then sent to the government to be held in trust for when one retires.

When the program was started there was only one’s savings for old age pension. There were no retirement programs. When the depression hit lots of people were left without funds and had to rely on hand outs from the government. So the government started a program called Social Security. A contract was made between the people and the government. The government said if you send me some of your money, it will hold the money in trust until you reach a certain age and at that time I will return your money to you in monthly payments.

It was a good sounding program and the people accepted it and the Social Security Act was passed by congress. Most everybody pays into this fund, there are a few exceptions and contrary to popular belief, members of congress pay into Social Security.

Over the years congress has violated this contract. Laws have been passed to spend this money on other social welfare programs; IE, medicare, disability, among others. Congress has also borrowed from the fund. What started out as a noble idea has been corrupted congress over the years.

Now it is being referred to as an entitlement program, not hardly. That is my money, I sent it to the government and expected to get it back. Right now I feel I am looking down the barrel of a gun and behind it is a mugger.

If Social Security had stayed in its original context, a person could get a nice retirement check, about twice what it is now.

My question is: If you are paying into Social Security and or drawing, are you going to let congress get away with calling it an entitlement program and cutting your money out? Are you going to let the politicians put the shaft to ya?

I plan on sending this to the local representatives and Senators and probably others around the country. I am getting mad and madder at what congress is doing to me. I will not bend over and spread em.

I would love to find a blood sucking attorney that would be willing to fight the government on the malpractice of office or dereliction of office. It is my money and I feel they should live up to the contract they drew up.

6 comments:

Ramblingon said...

I agree with you completely. Entitlement it is not and saying that it is so, will make (as you said) it easier to jerk yet another huge rug out from under us.

Kathryn Magendie said...

With all the taxes we pay, it seems a slap that anything we get back would be called an entitlement!

Joe said...

Very excellent John and I heartily agree. This is a terrible example of the government once again messing something up then blaming the people. I love how they blow it and then raise our taxes or take away benefits we've already paid for.

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping. Have an old remedy for a sore thoat. I hate Doctors but may have to go.
John your header is a bit big . If you want to send it to me I can fix it for you.
Just trying to help.

Lisa said...

It too big as in it makes your Blog off center unless it my widescreen.
It just need to be resize I think.

Lisa said...

Hi John , Thanks for stopping . I can say your view of the grass in your hearder is stunning. The close up is nice.
and yes it feels so good be back to normal or what ever that is .So far so good.
Have a great night.