Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tumbling Tumbleweeds

 

The rolling pain of the bottom side, weeds and in particular, tumble weeds.  Was visiting a blog that was talking about using available materials for decorating the home.  There  was a wide assortment of plants and various weeds.  No tumble weeds, so I made the comment; that it was nice decor but lacking, there was no tumble weed embellished in any of the nooks.  Not sure how the comment was received but I have seen some people get the nasty little weed fixed up and looking pretty good, even a few with christmas lights.

SDC16809

They collect on the fence rows and at times are so plentiful the fence is buried.  This is a larger one, about 3 feet across and couple feet high.  Big and bulky but light weight, the wind can gather them up and hurl them for miles if there is no obstructions.  Slightest spark sets it a blazing and soon the grasslands is charcoal.  A spot of barren ground and it grows to break free in the fall and follow the course of the wind, spreading its seed over the prairie.

 

They are stickery yet animals will eat them, not much nutrition.  Horses will tilt down over the fence and munch on them.  Other critters will store them up for winter or use for a nest.  A multipurpose worthless plant that invaded the US from Russia.

When the immigrants to the US came over they brought with them their means of livelihood.  Coming from the Volga area of Russia was the red hard winter wheat they brought with them.  Mixed in with the grains of wheat were the seeds of the Tumble weed, also known as the Russian thistle.  It has flourished in the heartland of the plains.  songs have been written about it, it has been cursed among other things.  There are probably seeds still mixed in with the grain today and ends up in the cereals and breads we heat.

I like the romance of the songs and the creativity of some to use them for decorations and if I can find a few I will have to capture a few megapixels of them.

SDC16814

The white specs in the picture are tumbleweeds and when the wind blows it will break them off and across the fields they will tumble, scattering to and fro, getting captured by snags or fences.  They pile into corners waiting for the wind to change direction and then blow off the neighbors over there.

Something to amuse self with….. maybe someday put it to verse.

5 comments:

Here I Am Carrie said...

We have a type of tumble weed down near the Salton Sea. Actually you got me thinking and you could spray paint them and stack them like snow balls and create snowmen or christmas trees. I have seen them piled so high against the fence as well. Oh I just now really spotted those flying tumbleweeds in the photo. Boy they really get up there. You could target shoot them also. LOL Anyway John thanks for always dropping in. Hugs Carrie

Lady Penelope said...

Tumbling tumbleweed, definitely lends itself to verse...and as I typed that I'm sure I remember odds words to a Cowboy Song... and I can 'see' in my minds eye, the tumbling weed rolling down a deserted One Horse Town, memory 'stills' from a film seen as a child... As usual John, you set the scene,...and imagination follows on...xPenx

Joe said...

I have to say that somehow I like tumbleweeds though they can be annoying on occasion for sure. I never really thought about doing something creative with them...surely that would be an interesting medium to work with! I'm glad you took the time with the photos John, thank you!

Ramblingon said...

The only thing I ever thought was creative about them was/is they inspire song and verse. That's pretty creative. :-)

Kathryn Magendie said...

I just love coming here and reading your take on things :-D - LOVE the idea of decorating tumbleweeds! haw! ....