Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Years Ago…. They Roamed

 

Took an afternoon off and went off the sand creek to do some rock hunting and maybe find an arrowhead.  It has been sometime since I found and arrowhead, I have found pieces and a small scraper.  Arrowhead hunting is a hobby for a few people that live on the prairie.  For centuries the Indians wandered across the plains, following the buffalo herds and living out their lives.

VLUU L200  / Samsung L200

Looking up a bluff through a small draw.  There is a small thread of green where the water collects.  The buffalo find these and graze.  It is also a place where the Indians could stampede the buffalo over the ridge and a few of the buffalo would perish in the tumble down the hill.

It would then be easy for the Indians to finish off the animals and skin them.  Below is a creek and a spring nearby for clean water. 

I walk the fields and pastures searching for the tips and scrapers left behind from the processing of the buffalo.  Not much luck but I enjoy the walk and the getting away to a place of solitude.  There is a farmhouse over there about a half mile and another over a mile away.  Then a few more miles to find another farm house.

As I walk the open spaces, the wind dances around, grasses wave in the breeze and clouds are absent.  High clear blue sky.  Summer has been postponed for a few more days, a sweater is need to keep the cool needles out.

Some smoky quartz is found, a few agates, maybe a piece of opal and petrified wood pieces but no arrowheads.  It was a nice walk on a cool day.  Batteries recharged and cobwebs scraped away.

Will have to revisit there another day and remember why life marches on.  Here is a cadence that nature sets.  Man is but a stepper to the cadence.

4 comments:

Ramblingon said...

OH I love rock hunting and I have a large gem stone rough collection. LOve smokey quartz too. I have a few arrow heads and some fossils as well. But nothing as I would love to have though I have a lot. It's a fun hobby.

Here I Am Carrie said...

I felt so pieceful reading about your walk. Sounded so wonderful even if you didn't find any arrow heads. I visited some your other posts a few days ago and just couldn't seem to get a comment to take. Well the creek is overflowing its banks at our place. Went up the nature trail this morning to discover our oldest beaver dam had pulled open lowing the level of water almost 2 feet and the creek rushes thru now. I am sure once the waters all quit rushing the beaver will come and repair it. There has been a beaver pond there for almost 15 years. It is finally warming up here. Getting my garden all planted. I was not going to plant one this year because of my back, but hubby got all the beds ready and I just had to plant the seeds. Seem to survive that. Still have lots of work in my flower beds. Keep taking those wonderful walks they are so sootheing to the soul. Hugs Carrie

Lisa said...

Beautiful.. I got lost in your walk and in your wind Dance. How beautiful. I can relate to this so very very well.
You have a gift of words that I find easy to call home.
Have a blessed night John and never put your pen down as long as you can hold it.
xo

Lisa said...

And thank you for taking me along on that walk.
I could almost hear the wild buffalo and tiny rock and things would escape me sometimes.
My vision is not what it was.