Sunday, May 8, 2011

The heat of Summer

Spring just passed by and I didn’t even catch but a small glimpse.  The hot dry winds of summer are hustling over the parched grasslands of the prairie.  Spring was but a moment here n there.  Clear high hot skies are now the dominant scene in the great outdoors.

VLUU L200  / Samsung L200

Bing in the middle of the migratory route I get to see a variety of birds headed north and later this fall they will go floating by overhead.  A few new ones from the spring ritual.  Along with them are the butterflies.  The spring movement isn’t as populous as the fall migration.  There are times the butterflies are like a mat.

It reassuring to hear the call of certain birds for it is the beginning of summer.  The robin has been hopping around since the late winter snows..  The the distinctive chirp of the Western Meadow Lark joins the chorus.  The yellow of the goldfinch sets on the feeder, joining the other little birds.

Spring is becoming a memory and the heat of dog days is approaching.  There will be couple more late freezes yet.  The garden stands by for the leaving of the final frost.  Grasshoppers are yet to make an appearance because there are still cold temps at night.

Today the wind whistles over the plains, grasping at what little moisture is in the ground.  Overhead is blue sky, tainted with the bits of dust floating in the wind..  Sounds of spring are fading, the hot hand of summer is grasping.

May you have a blessed week ahead and may the steps of the Lord be your guide.

5 comments:

Joe said...

I won't be posting again or able to reply for three weeks or so John so don't think I've forgotten you. I always love your pictures and words, I think you're a kindred spirit in some ways. Our weather will start getting really nice right when we head off to Ireland...doesn't that just figure? Ah well, I hope for the best there. Bless you John, I hope to be home again come the 1st of June.

Dianne ... Walking In His Grace said...

Sounds like you are way ahead of us. We had a high of 63 degrees today, and my tulips have finally flowered. The nights are still cold. Last Spring was much warmer, and advanced at this time. I am so ready for summer. Bring it on. Ha!
Enjoyed your post John. Have a great week ahead.
Dianne:)

Edith Carolyn Kuechen said...

John, a lot of people need people like
both you & I, who show respect of
the true nature of our environments
not only living but also in nature included
and as an avid student of comparison
animal vs human nature
I have finally gained over many years
a great deal of respect
for birds of all species.

When I was just a young girl,
I didn't pay much attention to birds,
but one day while visiting with friends
a budgie of theirs landed on the white sock
of one of my old sidekicks
& began to peck like MAD at him.
We all burst out laughing to no end about this!

I used to be quite the tom-boy as a kiddo
even though I was girlish too with all
my nail polish, dolls & K-Mart bauble-ware,
and would use my science kits, chemistry kits
& microscope to get a closer look at the
mechanisms involved behind the grasshoppers
I would jump a fence or two
to collect in my day.
That was the ultimate joy!

Gerry Adams said...

Very nice John, It's raining again here today. I wish would get to the sunny stuff, and keep it for a while!

TenMile said...

It's been a bit, John. Time for another post. If for no other reason than to catch us up on your physical well being.