Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snow Day

 

Today is the day, the blizzard is here.  The day many farmers and ranchers have been hoping for.  Snow makes for hazards but for the land it is nourishment.   It has been so dry that the water is dusty. 

So take a few and punch out a few keys on the keyboard and write something about something.

I have been writing some stories for the local tourism people to post on their website about the ghost towns in the area.  In the process I have found a variety of old and interesting things.   Mostly old machinery and buildings.  Other day I was visiting with a rancher whose grandfather had operated a post office out of his ranch house in the early 1900’s. 

DSCN3021 (768x1024)

Hanging on their wall was a relic from Mabel’s time of the barb wire network.  Two short rings was Esther's, a long ring n a short was Mildred’s, two shorts and one long ring was Evelyn’s and any one else that wanted to listen in.  Party line central it was.  News of the neighborhood was broadcast far and wide over the barb wire.

Wonder if the kids today could operate something so primitive.  They would probably ask how to boot it up.

DSCN3097 (1024x767)

During my journeys into the out back I have some interesting companions, watchers.  Hunting season is still on so they are a bit skittish. 

Have been lucky to find a few ghosts here and there.  The knock at the door, opening and closing, footsteps over the floor.  Check on the door and it locked, no one is in the house.  Then there is frank, he hangs in the side room.  It is amazing some of the stories that people have about their unseen room mates.

DSCN3093 (1024x749)

Look closely, there is a shadow in the front window and there have been reports of lights in there at night.

Always did enjoy the stories of Caspar. 

Well the ground has turned white where the snow can collect.  The wind is blowing the rest down Texas way.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Love this post John! I have a new I-touch on order and I can ask it to search for things on the internet...a little more advanced then that old phone but I like that old phone somehow! Hauntings are fascinating things aren't they? When we were in Ireland we visited an abandoned farm...if that place weren't haunted I don't know what is! We captured a disembodied voice saying welcome...I have the clip on YouTube!

Anonymous said...

Hello I am so grateful I found your blog page,
I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Google
for something else, Regardless I am here now and
would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round interesting
blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great work.
My web site: Laptop Flight case

Here I Am Carrie said...

How wonderful that you are doing some writing for ghost town articles.