Monday, December 13, 2010

Tuesday Poetry

I was asked, what happened to Tuesday Poetry.  There were various things why I discontinued but first I should go back and explain why it was started.

 

IMGP0064

 

When windows Live Spaces was a viable place a GI came on and asked to be my friend.  I will never turn down a GI, having been one my self.  His site was poetry, not much.  the site had only been up a few weeks.  He would post mostly verse but occasionally he would blog about himself.

I would read these posts but not say much.  After a couple of months of reading along he made a post about some of his past.  He had just returned from the Middle East with a head injury.  The therapist that was working with him recommended writing and poetry being one of those things.

His verse was very somber and dark at times.  A tormented person could be seen in the words he put down. 

Later he wrote that he was 51 and was divorced and had done more then one tour in the Middle East.  It came across that he had lots of conflicts in his life.

Remembering that the therapist told him to write more poetry I started encouraging him in my comments on his posts.  I had a few poems I had written and there a couple of others in the network who would post verse.  So I decided to start what I called Tuesday Poetry.  I began posting a different poem on Tuesdays and the GI started to do the same as did a few others.

So in hopes that he would be encouraged to write more I continued to post verse.  For a couple of months it went pretty good.  Then he didn’t post anything for sometime.  Nothing new, I would post but nothing on his site.  After a month there was nothing new on his site.

What happened to him I have no idea but I hope it was nothing bad for some of his verse was twisted.  Yet I had hopes.

I continued for a few months more but I ran out of poems and did not feel up to writing any more.  So Tuesday Poetry came to an end.

 

I look back at this and there are times I want to scream….. scream at the politicians, what the hell are ya doing.  The country gets into a conflict and has no clear objective and young people are getting killed….. for what purpose?

Oh it will stop terrorism…. really.  Am I any safer today then I was a decade ago.

It was an attempt to reach out, instead it has fueled some anger at DC.

6 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I too, hope he found some peace.

Best to you
B.

Lisa said...

John you have a heart of gold that can only come from God. I will keep him in a prayer that he may find you or find peace.
I love the photo. Wow. That sky is on fire.

The Paper Whisperer said...

Sweet! I'm with Lisa on the heart of gold and the photo....Wowza!!!

Joe said...

It's a terrible thing to see the devastation of war in those you've known. I have several veterans in my life right now. Two of them stick out in particular. One was a combat medic who I went through many years of school with the other I watched grow up from a little boy to a man. Both of these young men have seen combat and come home devastated. Seeing how things are in this country right now makes it very hard to take however I have faith in them and I've got faith in God in the situation. Yes, the system has failed and it always will but there's something to be said for that which refuses to surrender. I don't believe that poetry has left your soul and I know you fight the good fight. There's no surrender for folks like you John. I may not be a soldier but you've more than once encouraged me to keep fighting the good fight of faith. It doesn't matter whether it's our own misguided government or terrorists on the outside. The battle is all over our faith.

Ramblingon said...

I remember that very man you speak of.

Anonymous said...

Thanks John, I don't think I knew him