Friday, April 1, 2011

Here N There …. Thoughts

 

Found some trees just starting to leaf out and there was some new shoots on the bushes.  Bellevue spring is starting to take hold.  Last night was the first night since last fall when the temperature did not drop below freezing.  the green thumb is itching at me and I stuff it back in its cabinet but it pops back out a few days later.

 

IMGP1582

Living at a high elevation it takes a while to warm up yet that is nice in the summer.  It doesn’t get outrageously hot.  I can go north a few miles and climb to almost 6000 feet in elevation.  The dryness and lack of clouds does allow the land to warm up real quick yet it cools off great at night.  There can be as much as a 40 degree temperature swing.  Makes for great sleeping at night.

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Can you believe it we are getting into another war.  It’s bad enough to be bogged down in some countries where we have gained almost nothing.  We did not learn from the Russians and from other incursions in the Middle East. 

What gets me is the president went right past congress and start4ed shooting.  This is one issue I believe both sides of the aisle would of agreed on.  The debt load is outrageous and now it will grow even more.

When Obama was campaigning against Bush he was badmouthing Bush on getting us into war over there.  So what does Obama do, sticks his foot in his mouth. So now some more innocent Americans are going to be killed to satisfy some politico puffer in DC.  Of all people I figured Obama to be a dove but he is turning out to be something else that is becoming very disgusting. 

 

               ---------------------------------------------------------------------

IMGP1619

These are the coolest little steam engines.  They are called Shay’s.  They are gear driven rather then rods.  The pistons operate a cam shaft that turns the gears mounted on a side rod that then turns gears mounted on axles to drive the wheels.  they are very slow and can handle steep grades and sharp turns.  There forte was in the woods hauling logs out of the lumber camps down the mountain to the mill.

When they are in motion they remind one of a Rube Goldberg contraption.  All the spinning wheels and gears, there is lots o motion on one of these things.

IMGP1623

This is a different view where one can see all the shafts and gears.  They still are used today on a few tourist railroads back in the mountains.  Catch one and pack a picnic lunch and enjoy a day out in the mountains, if…. if , one is near by.

The weekend is here.  Go forth and enjoy God’s creation.

May God bless your weekend.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I posted a while back on this new war...tip toed through the tulips is more like it...nobody touched that subject with a ten foot pole. I agree with you totally. The hypocrisy in this whole thing irritates me but worse it seems this will be a lot of suffering if not sooner then surely later. Sometimes it can seem that the whole world has fallen off the edge of sanity on all levels. Faith is something that I have to get by disengaging from the mess of today and believe for the promises to come. It' slow to bud and blossom here too but I know it's on it's way...just a matter of time. Loved the pictures as always John. God bless you.

Here I Am Carrie said...

Hello John, Finally trapped in the house and no company and a little internet connection. Next year I will be subscribing to a proper connection. Really had no time this winter to go online much. So I am glad to see you have made it thru another winter. Doensn't feel like winter here. It's been over a 100 degrees here at the Salton Sea. Have to spend the days inside till it cools again. I heard we are still getting snow today up at my place up North. Will be heading home in a week. I hope I can handle the climate change. Even when I do get back I won't be seeing any new buds for over a month. Might see lots of spring flooding with all snow we had. Well trying to get around to as many people as I can while I have a reasonable fast connection. Hugs and Happy Spring to you. Carrie

Unknown said...

Strange seasons of weather. Liked your photos. Had a real nice warm day today. Have a great Sunday.

Ramblingon said...

I'm with you, John. I usually am. Joe, you know I'm with you.