Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring Snow…… Oh Yeah

Snow fall in the spring is not unusual because the varying altitudes across the eastern prairie.  What is rain at lower elevations becomes snow higher up.  The temperature difference becomes very noticeable this time of year.

IMGP1864

This is a narrow band that stretched from Pikes Peak NE out across the rolling hills.  Elevation here is from 7000-8000 feet and temps can vary tremendously.  I love what it does to the land.  It is a cleanser and it can also be a killer for those caught unaware.   Not as nasty as the tornadoes in the SE but can be just as deadly.  My heart and prayers go out for the victims down there.  I hope they can recover and deal with their losses and go on with their lives. 

What is upsetting to me is how some elements of society are trying to use this tragedy for political gain.

IMGP1870

Under a fresh mantle of snow Pikes Peak looks great.  Hard to believe it was a volcano that blew its top, going from about 30000 feet elevation to over 14000 feet.  One big mountain.

 

IMGP1871

Nature creates some awesome scenery after these storms..  clouds roll and dapple the snow covered grasslands. Grab the sled and go sledding.  Just may go back over there in a week or two and see what kind of wild flowers have sprung forth.

 

May you have  wonderful weekend

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos John. Was 74 here today and finally some sunshine.

Joe said...

We didn't get out of the fifties today...they say we've had the longest stretch with lows below the forties for the whole year since the seventies...matches what I heard about cooling being the cause of the tornadoes this year in other parts of the country. Beautiful pictures though my love of the snow has worn quite thin around here by now. Bless you John.

Hope said...

Hi John.. I have to agree with Joe here as my love for snow has gotten rather thin as well.. seems all we get anymore.. but I do so love the captures you posted here.. there is a beauty all its own.. hope you have a wonderful day.. soft hugs

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, I so love coming here and reading your blog, John. Your lovely prose, the way you see the world and nature and place around you. You are one of my favorite people in the world and I've never met you face-to-face.

Our mountains here are some of the oldest mountains in the world - worn down by time but oh so beautiful. We don't reach elevations as yours do, but once they were there so very very long ago!

I just read a book that had pike's peak in it - it was fiction - the woman lived in the town and talked about tourists visit Pike's Peak and etc - I've never been but would love to see it.