Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home On The Range

 

So goes the title of the song.  Buffalo no longer thunder across the plains but there still are herds of deer and antelope that dance over the prairie.

 

 

IMGP0399

Didn’t spot any antelope close enough or with with enough light to capture a picture of but this deer collection was nice enough to pause by the road side and pose for me.

 

IMGP0397

Twilight and it time to go look for the evening meal.  Along the creek bottom they will browse on the grass and there are pools of water near by.  When others are closing down for the day others are out searching.  The sounds change but it still nature’s rhythm that carries on.

 

IMGP0401

Homeless they could be considered.  Most have been booted from their home by the greenies wanting to live in the mountains with nature.  Losing their habitat the animal had to move to find food.  On the prairie the land is not as crowded as the foothills are becoming.  Here the deer can live, maybe even under a bridge.

The dudly do gooders complain about the homeless yet by their actions they create a new group of homeless.  these critters will adjust and they will survive much like the homeless of the street do. 

To live and let live for some people is difficult.  So many think they have the answer how nature should operate but do not look at themselves as being part of the problem.

IMGP0400

Much like this doe looking to get through the fence to join the rest.  We have people we like to associate with and then there are those.  Yet like nature we will go on.

It was a cold evening as I took these out the window.  They mostly just stood there and looked at me.  Not real spooked but wary.  There were a few on the other side on the hill walking on down to the creek.  I split them up when I drove through.  Temps were about zero to below F.

7 comments:

E. Carolyn Kuechen said...

Looking at these cute creatures seems to take the edge of this nippy winter, John.

Quite a while back, I posted a blog about the history of the song Home On The Range, as there are different versions of it. I found it to be quite thought-provoking upon reflection about exactly which of the lyrics were changing & it was all leaning toward politics & Natives, if I recall correctly.

It's my belief that sooner or later all the beautiful animals are going to be kicking us all out (hahaha).

Dianne ... Walking In His Grace said...

Nice pictures John. It doesn't look like you got alot of snow there. It looks like the deer have plenty to eat, and that is good for them.
Hope all is well, and you have a wonderful year ahead of you, with plenty of new stories , and photos to share.
Dianne :)

Unknown said...

I agree with your post. Mother nature will teach man to mess with her. I think she's building up with more disasters to clear the lands.

Lisa said...

How very beautiful in images and your words always seem to be just what I need. We have Buffalo here in Alberta . Still on farms and still as wild as the days gone by. They still will kill there babies trying to keep them from humans. Loved your post.

Ramblingon said...

I loved seeing this John. We have similar scenes here where I live as well..and like you, I love and try to support (in ways that I can) out=r wildlife.

Joe said...

I love deer so much! Unlike many in our state I've never been a hunter and shoot with my camera for the most part. We have large groups of deer and antelope that I never get tired of watching. Even when they decide to have lunch on our flowers I can't complain...they really are the picture of grace. Thanks so much for sharing this John!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Photo's John, we have a lot of deer here in New Zealand.
Lady J